Saturday, July 5, 2008

Indepence Day top


In an effort to dust off my clothes-making skills (and to procrastinate working on a big pile of baby shoes), I decided to spend the 3rd of July making this little number for my 4 year-old to wear for Independence Day. I used a top she already had as a guide and set off with some scraps of red & white floral and some blue & white polka dot fabrics. It actually went pretty smoothly, which doesn't always happen when I try to make something without a pattern and instructions. The only regret I have is that I didn't make the bodice and skirt as one piece. I'd intended the skirt to be more gathered and full, but the fabric remnant I was working with just wasn't quite wide enough. There are a few tucks here and there, but it looks more accidental than intentional. Ah, well. Overall I think it turned out pretty cute! We might even get a few more wears out of it this summer.




No comments: